Entertainment & Sports Arena
Bigger Than Basketball
Please visit the Events DC website: Here
Mayor Muriel Bowser, Events DC, and Monumental Sports & Entertainment are committed to promoting transformative community development in Washington D.C. by the construction of a new Entertainment and Sports Area (ESA). The ESA will be an innovative and unique venue that will provide a much-needed boost to on-going redevelopment in Ward 8, spur greater economic opportunities for residents, and help create more pathways to the middle class.
Catalytic Investment Opportunity
- This is estimated to generate 300 permanent and 600 construction jobs, with a goal of hiring residents from surrounding community
- The ESA is estimated to attract over 350,000 annual new visitors per year at stabilization.
- Over lease term, Monumental Sports is contributing rent equivalent to $400,000/year and investing $10 million as a community investment towards community and economic revitalization of the St. Elizabeths East campus and surrounding community.
- Anticipated total new tax revenues at $4.5 million annually for a total of $90 million in new tax revenues over 20 years
including ticket tax, concessions, and income taxes.
- Total return on dollars invested for DC is a fiscal return of $4 for each $1 invested in the ESA.
- The ESA will drive private investment dollars to the St. Elizabeths East campus redevelopment, including enhanced retail
and hospitality opportunities adjacent to the Congress Heights Metro.
- Will spur retail and private development dollars in the surrounding Congress Heights area.
Community Benefits Agreement
- Community Working Group and Outreach to Kick-off Winter of 2015/2016
- Anticipated construction start of July 2016
- Anticipated construction completion Fall 2018
- Total construction cost of $65M
- Sources of construction funds: Events DC $37M, District $23M, Monumental $5M.
- Monumental and affiliated entities will invest $10 million at the St. Elizabeths East Campus and in the surrounding community over the 19-year lease term which can include philanthropic investments.
- Events DC will construct facility.
- District to own facility and retain Events DC as events management company for operations and management under 19 year lease, at no costs to the District.
- District’s planned Stage 1 infrastructure improvements will service the facility.
- 4,200 seat Sports and Entertainment for use as:
- Concert/ entertainment venue
- Community event Programming
- Wizards Training Facility
- Arena for Mystics and other sports teams
- Parking and limited secured parking spots for Monumental
- Adjacent to Metro Station (Congress Heights)
- Located Outside of Phase 1 Area Currently Under Negotiation
News & Events